Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Safety Advice

As of October 2014, 47 people have died and 722 have been hospitalised due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK this year according to CO Awareness.

Carbon Monoxide Safety AdviceCarbon monoxide is so deadly because it is a colourless and odourless gas which is highly poisonous. It is produced by any equipment that burns fuels and as a supplier of power equipment we always strive to provide the best health and safety information possible to our customers.

The most important step in the prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning is to never use power equipment which produces the deadly gas indoors or in an enclosed space. Garages, porches, basements or other similar spaces are not suitable areas for generators or water pumps as there is not enough ventilation – even if doors and windows are open. These units should always be used in an open space with the exhaust pointing away from any buildings or structures.

Furthermore, it is advisable to have a carbon monoxide detector in any nearby buildings to ensure that the deadly gas isn’t creeping in and silently killing you.

If in doubt, contact a safety expert who can examine your property and give any advice on how best to use equipment which produces carbon monoxide with minimal risk.

Be sure to educate any family members or employees of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning so that they too can avoid any tragedy.

If you follow these precautions then carbon monoxide poisoning shouldn’t be a risk to you, but it’s good to be aware of the symptoms if you regularly work around machinery which produces carbon monoxide. They include:

  • Headaches
  • Drowsiness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Weakness
  • Convulsions
  • Respiratory Problems
  • Concentration Problems
  • Behaviour Problems
  • Personality Change
  • Clumsiness
  • Severe Muscle Pains
  • Fast Heart Rate
  • Trembling
  • Vision Problems
  • Loss of Hearing
  • Walking Problems
  • Unconsciousness

If you are around any machinery which produces carbon monoxide and start to feel any of these symptoms then contact a medical professional immediately. 

Brands Stocked by ThePowerSite